Pregnancy and childbirth are life-changing moments in a woman’s life. The biggest concern for most women after birth is weight gain. It is normal for a woman to gain a particular amount of weight when pregnant because of the many changes taking place in her body. A woman is expected to gain about 24 to 34 pounds during a normal pregnancy.
Most of this weight tends to disappear immediately, after the baby and the placenta come out, or resolve after a while as the uterus shrinks and the body goes back to normal fluid levels. However, the idea of “eating for two” both during and after pregnancy can cause some women to add on some unnecessary pounds.
This extra weight may cause the new mom’s days to be filled with a lot of insecurities and image issues. So, unless you are Heidi Klum or Kate Middleton who appear to be as good as new every time they come out of the delivery room, you may be looking for some weight loss treatments that will guarantee the loss of your post-pregnancy fat. This guide details all the tips that will help you go back to your pre-pregnancy weight. Keep reading to find out.
Eat to Lose Weight
Follow these healthy eating tips to lose weight safely:
- Do not diet: Understandably, the extra weight could be causing you sleepless nights and you would do anything to have it gone; but be warned that going on a diet at this time could derail your post-pregnancy healing and weight loss goals. Instead of dieting, opt to eat healthily and eat for your hunger.
- Opt for 5 to 6 smaller meals spread out throughout the day instead of 3 larger meals
- Reach for superfoods: As a new mom, your body needs utmost nutrition, especially if you’re breastfeeding. Go for foods that are loaded with nutrients, but are low on calories. Replace your sugary meals with lean protein and fat because they’ll keep you full for longer. Such foods include fish, milk and yogurt, chicken, and beans.
- Snack in between meals: Snacking keeps you full throughout the day and keeps you from overeating on the next meal. Keep different, healthy snacks in the house including wheat crackers, carrot sticks, apple slices, and cereals.
- Don’t skip breakfast: Many new moms tend to forget to eat; which is understandable because having a small baby can be overwhelming. But, skipping meals will make you have less energy, and you will not be able to do the things that will make you lose weight. So, don’t skip any meal, especially breakfast as it gives you the energy you need to start your day.
- Stay hydrated: Drink at least 12 glasses of water a day, and other healthy drinks such as fruit juices and smoothies. Remember, breast milk is 88% water, so you are constantly losing water as you breastfeed your little one. Take fruit juices in moderation as they may contribute to the extra calories. Also, avoid other drinks high in calories like sodas.
- Slow Down: Take your time and enjoy your meal as this is the easiest way to tell when you are full.
While diet is important in any weight loss program, you also need to incorporate some exercise to burn more calories and keep your bones and muscles strong. Other than helping you lose weight, exercise has many other benefits to the new mom: it helps relieve stress and depression, and also deal with sleep issues.
You may be tempted to push yourself harder to lose more weight faster, but remember, rapid weight loss may be hard on your body and it’s not healthy. So, don’t overdo it! A brisk walk around the neighborhood with your munchkin in the stroller is a good way to get you started into an exercise routine.
The trick here is just to get off the couch and get moving. Other than handling the baby throughout the day (which is an exercise on its own), simple activities like watering the plants, making the bed, and arranging dishes can help you burn those extra calories.
Ask For Help
Post-pregnancy weight loss can take a great toll on you, but you don’t have to struggle alone. If you are struggling with weight loss, it’s time to seek the services of a doctor or dietician. At Mango Clinic, we understand that a lot of factors including genetics, lack of exercise, and eating disorders may all lead to difficulties in losing weight.
Our weight loss prescription will help boost your metabolism, lose belly fat, and drop those extra pounds faster. Book an appointment with MangoClinic to get assistance from our experienced healthcare professionals.